First ever DONA Doula Training April 26-28, 2012
What is a Doula?
A Doula is a person who provides non-medical care for mothers during and immediately after birth. A Doula:
- Recognizes birth as a significant life experience.
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotiona needs of a laboring woman.
- Provides continuous support, practrical comfort measures, and an objective viewpoint to aid in decision-making.
- Complements the care provided by the woman's partner and birth attendants.
- Protects and nurtures the memory of the birth experience.
Recent studies indicate the use of a doula:
- Decreases labor length by 25 percent.
- Decreases oxytocin use by 25 percent.
- Decreases mother's request for pain medication by 30 percent.
- Decreases cesareans by 50 percent.
- Increases father's participation level.
The Doula Training Workshop will be April 26-28th at Royale Hayat Hospital 9:00am-5:00pm.
The course fee is 150 KWD, and includes course training materials and meals.
*Nursing babies are welcome if they are quiet or if you have someone who can take them out of the room if need be.
The intensive three-day workshop will help the participant:
- Recognize the significance of chidbirth in the life of a woman.
- Demonstrate at least three prental and postpartum support skills.
- Devise a plan to offer optimal support in a variety of labor situations.
- Appraise personal values and their relationship to labor support.
- Assess standards of practice and plan methods of business management.
This course was designed and will be presented by Kristi Ridd-Young, an experienced midwife, doula, and childbirth educator. She is currently the President of the Midwives College of Utah and former DONA Administrative Director and board member. During her 19 years of teaching, Kristi has facilitated many doula trainings throughout the USA. She has been invaluable in helping many expectant mothers and their partners develop skills and the inner strength neeed to experience a positive birth. As a caring, compassionate doula, she has atteneded over 250 women. Kristi has been mentored by many of the leading experts in the field of childbirth, but most of all, she credits her six children and seven stepchildre for much of the wisdom and knowledge she shares.
|Kristi @ recent doula workshop at Midwives College of Utah|
Please email your registration form to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you want to print up your form, you can drop off your form with the registration fee to Sarah Paksima (Amwaj Towers, Gulf Road, Salmiya (5536-8636). Registration deadline is April 1st, 2012.
This course is designed for those who have had some experience in the field of childbirth (practical (doesn't have to be your own) or academic). The course is ideal for mothers, sisters, nurses, nutritionists, or other health professionals. Our vision is for every family in Kuwait to have a doula! If you have NO childbirth experience, please email Kristi (email@example.com) so she can help you design a prerequistie program.
Please complete as many of the books from DONA's required reading list as possible before the training. The list can be found at Birth Doula Required Reading List. It is not required, but recommended, that the reading be done prior to the program. If you need access tothese books before the treaining, please contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) to check them out from my library.